You can enjoy our content anytime, anywhere when you decide to read with us. Scribd makes it easy to enjoy a good book at home or on the go. You can open a book from a web browser or on one of our mobile apps.
Mobile app? What devices work with the Scribd app?
The Scribd app works on a variety of internet-connected mobile devices and ebook readers. We're working on expanding the platforms that Scribd is available on all the time but currently you'll be able to enjoy the Scribd app:
- If you use an iPhone or iPad with iOS 8 or newer. Check out the Scribd app in the Apple App Store to enjoy an optimized reading experience on any size screen. Once again, it does require iOS 8 or newer. We apologize for any inconvenience to the iOS 7 users out there. You can still enjoy Scribd on the mobile website but will not be able to use the Scribd app.
If your iOS device is paired with an Apple Watch, all you have to do is start playing an audiobook from the Scribd app on the device and you'll be able to control playback using "Now Playing" on your Apple Watch. We don't currently have a standalone Apple Watch app, so if you've got Scribd installed on your iPhone or iPad, you're all set!
- If you have an Android device, be it a smartphone or tablet. Our Android app only requires you to have a device with Android 4.1 or newer. Set it up and start reading today by downloading the app from Google Play!
- If you have a Nook HD or Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook. You can install our Android app from Google Play!
- Kindle: the device model varies a bit, but generally if you're running Fire OS 3 (Jelly Bean) or later you can enjoy Scribd from our Kindle Fire app right on your e-reader. We know you bought the Kindle Fire to read, so we're here to help you read to your heart's content! Just download the app! We have more detailed Kindle Fire installation instructions below!
Unfortunately, some ebook readers can't connect to Scribd on the web or run the Scribd app, such as the Nook Simple Touch, Kobo, and most versions of the Kindle besides the Kindle Fire. Generally speaking, you won't be able to use Scribd to its grand potential with these devices compared to the Kindle Fire, Nook HD, and the Kobo Arc line.
Is there a limit on how many browsers or devices I can use?
We do have measures in place to help prevent abuse of the site. You'll be able to read any title from the Scribd collection using up to 3 different browsers or computers within a 24-hour period. If you're using the Scribd app, you can save content on up to 4 devices for offline reading. If you end up getting a message that you're using Scribd on too many devices but haven't used more than 3 browsers in a 24-hour period or used over 4 mobile devices, please contact Scribd support and they'll be able to sort out the issue for you.
How do I install the Scribd app onto my Kindle Fire?
The Scribd app for Kindle Fire can be downloaded from our Scribd for Kindle Fire Installation page. You only need to do this once. After you install the Scribd app it will automatically keep itself up to date.
Scribd supports several models of the Kindle Fire, dependent on the OS that is installed on it. The minimum requirements for installation is that the device either run Fire OS 3 or later, -or-, run software that is the equivalent of Jelly Bean or later. Examples of devices we're compatible with are The Kindle Fire HD 7" (2013).
We apologize that we do not support the following devices any longer: Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (2012), Kindle Fire HD 7" (2012), Kindle Fire (2012) - 2nd gen, Kindle Fire (2011) - 1st gen.
Scribd is not currently compatible with E-Ink based Kindle readers like the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle DX, as these devices do not allow third party applications. If you are unsure what model of Kindle you have, or what operating system your device is running Amazon has put out a handy chart here that may help you.
Before downloading the Scribd app:
Make sure your Kindle Fire allows the installation of applications from unknown sources:
- Open the quick settings menu by swiping down from the top of your Kindle Fire screen.
- Select the "More..." tab from the quick settings menu to access the "Settings" page.
- From the "Settings" page, select the "Device" menu item.
- Make sure the "Allow Installation of Applications From unknown sources" option is set to On.
Download the Scribd app
- Open the web browser on your Kindle Fire.
- Open the Scribd for Kindle Fire installation page: scribd.com/kindlefire
- Click the "Install" button.
- You will see a download button along with a copy of these instructions. Click the download button.
- Save the "Scribd.apk" file to your browser's download folder.
Install the Scribd app
- Open the web browser on your Kindle Fire if it's not already open.
- Open your the browser's settings menu and navigate to the "Download" folder.
- Select the "Scribd.apk" and tap the "Install" button at the bottom of the screen.
- Once the Scribd app is installed, you will be able to find it under the "Apps" tab from your home screen.
- Open the Scribd app and either create a new account or log into your existing Scribd account.
Use the premium membership to read unlimited books!
Once you’ve installed the Scribd app on your device you can jump right into reading using your existing Scribd account by tapping "Sign In". If you need to create one, you can do so through the app as well! Just follow the prompts to "Join Now" and follow the instructions.
Happy reading on your computer, iPhone, iPad, Android device, Kindle Fire, Nook HD or internet connected mobile device