LAST UPDATED: 31 October 2023
Legal bases for Our processing of Your Personal Information are:
- The performance of a contract, where We have entered into a contract with You and need to process Your Personal Information in order to fulfill Our contractual obligations to You [Art. 6 (1) lit. b GDPR/UK GDPR],
- Our legitimate interests [Art. 6 (1) lit. f GDPR/UK GDPR] for the transfer of Your Personal Information which are the following:
- for internal administrative and support purposes;
- compliance with a legal obligation to which Scribd is subject, for example if We are required by law to disclose Personal Information to law enforcement agencies or governmental authorities;
- for the purposes of exercising Our legal rights or defending legal claims;
- our legitimate interests for the transfer of Your Personal Information in connection with a transfer of all or part of Our organization or assets which are the following: the orderly transition of all or part of Our business; and
- our legitimate interests to protect and defend the rights or property of the Company or third parties, including enforcing Policies, Terms, and Guidelines and in an emergency including to protect the safety of Our employees or any person which are the following: to protect the property, rights, and safety of any person and to prevent fraud.
The Personal Information that We collect or receive about You may be transferred to, and processed by, recipients that are located inside or outside the EEA+ and which are not recognized from an EEA+ law perspective as providing for an adequate level of data protection. When interacting with Our site or contacting Us, You transfer Personal Information to the United States, and Scribd may then transfer Your Personal Information back to the originating country. To the extent Your Personal Information is transferred to countries that do not provide for an adequate level of data protection from an EU, Swiss or UK law perspective, We will base the respective transfer on appropriate safeguards [Art. 46 GDPR/UK GDPR], such as standard data protection contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission. You can ask for a copy of such appropriate safeguards by contacting Us as set out in the contact section.
Your Personal Information will be retained for as long as necessary to provide You with the services requested. When Scribd no longer needs to use Your Personal Information to comply with contractual obligations, We will remove it from Our systems and records and/or take steps to properly De-identify it so that You can no longer be identified from it, unless We need to keep Your information, including Personal Information, to comply with statutory retention periods, e.g. for tax purposes for a legally prescribed time period thereafter, or if We need it to preserve evidence within the statutes of limitation.
Under applicable law, You may enjoy the following rights in relation to Your Personal Information. However, these rights are not absolute and the interests of other individuals may limit or restrict Your rights.
- Right to request access to Your Personal Information: You have the right to confirm with Us whether Your Personal Information is processed, and if it is, to request access to that Personal Information including the categories of Personal Information processed, the purpose of the processing and the recipients or categories of recipients. You have the right to obtain a copy of the Personal Information undergoing processing.
- Right to rectification: You have the right to obtain from Us rectification of Your inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information.
- Right to erasure/right to be forgotten: You have the right to ask Us to erase Your Personal Information.
- Right to restriction of processing: In limited circumstances, You have the right to request that We restrict processing of Your Personal Information.
- Right to data portability: You may have the right to receive Personal Information concerning You, which You have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and You may have the right to transmit that Personal Information to another entity without hindrance from us.
- Right to object: Under certain circumstances You may have the right to object, on grounds relating to Your particular situation, at any time to the processing of Your Personal Information, including profiling, by Us and We can be required to cease processing Your Personal Information.
Moreover, if Your Personal Information is processed for direct marketing purposes, You have the right to object at any time to the processing of Personal Information concerning You for such marketing, which includes profiling to the extent that it is related to such direct marketing. In this case Your Personal Information will no longer be processed for such purposes by us.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority in Your country. If You have declared Your consent for any Personal Information processing activities, You can withdraw this consent at any time with future effect. Such a withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of the processing prior to the consent withdrawal. You can exercise Your rights by contacting Us as described in Section 1.0.
Where We are required by law to collect Your Personal Information, or We need to collect Your Personal Information under the terms of a contract We have with You, and You fail to provide that Personal Information when We request it, We may not be able to perform the contract We have or are trying to enter into with You. This may apply where You do not provide the Personal Information We need in order to provide the services You have requested from us. In this case, We may have to cancel the provision of the relevant services to You, in which case We will notify You.
We may occasionally update this Notice. If We make material changes to this Notice, We will notify You as required by applicable laws. We encourage You to review this Notice periodically to remain informed as to how We are using and protecting Your information and to keep Yourself aware of any changes to the Notice. Changes to this Notice will take effect immediately after We post it to https://scribd.com/privacy. You can determine when We last changed this Notice by referring to the “LAST UPDATED” legend above. Your use of the Site following changes to this Notice will constitute Your acceptance of those changes; provided, however, any material change to this Notice shall not apply retroactively to any claim or dispute between You and Us in connection with this Notice that arose prior to the “LAST UPDATED” date applicable to that version of this Notice. This Notice may not reflect pending or recent legislation.
We welcome Your questions about this Notice by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at: Scribd, Inc. 460 Bryant Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, CA 94107-2594. We respond to all inquiries within 30 days. If You are a California resident, You may have this same information emailed to You by sending a letter to the foregoing address with Your email address and a request for this information.