While reading an ebook from your favorite author or skimming through articles in the latest issue of a popular magazine, have you ever run across a word that you didn’t quite know the meaning of?
When you’re reading any of our text-based media, you can use the in-app dictionary to quickly find the definition of unfamiliar words.
How to access the dictionary in the Scribd mobile app
The dictionary feature is available in the Scribd app on both Android and iOS devices, but there are a few small differences between the two.
Installing the dictionary
To look up the definition of a word you will first need to download the in-app dictionary.
- Tap and hold to highlight a word you’d like to define.
- Tap the “download” option that appears at the bottom of the page.
Once the dictionary has been downloaded, tap and hold to highlight the word you’d like to look up and the definition will appear at the bottom of the page.
If you’d like to remove the in-app dictionary feature:
- Tap on the Account option in the bottom right corner of the Scribd app.
- Under the Account menu, tap the option for “Downloads” and then tap “Delete dictionary”.
You can always re-download the dictionary if you ever need it in the future.
- Tap and hold to highlight the word you’d like to define and a menu will appear.
- From the menu, tap “Look Up” to open the dictionary feature which includes entries from the Oxford American Writer’s Thesaurus and the New Oxford American Dictionary.
If you have any questions or run into any issues while using the dictionary feature within the Scribd app, please contact our support team.