While you can share your uploads with everyone on SlideShare, we recognize there may be times when you want to make certain uploads private or limit their audience to select individuals. This is where SlideShare privacy settings come in! Keep reading below to learn about the options you can apply to your content.
Privacy settings for SlideShare content cannot be managed through the mobile app and must be completed using the SlideShare website.
What privacy settings are available for SlideShare uploads?
SlideShare offers two different privacy modes for your uploads: private and public. Each option impacts how others can interact with your content, in addition to how widely available your work is.
When an upload’s visibility is set to “Public”, it will be visible for anyone to view. Although viewing isn’t restricted, you still have the option to choose if you want your content to be available for download. You can also allow or disallow embeds of your content on other web pages. When public, your content will be indexed and appear in searches on SlideShare, or in search results outside of SlideShare (e.g. Google).
When you set an upload’s visibility to “Private”, it will only be visible to you. During the initial upload, you also have the option of making private content visible to someone you’ve shared its direct link with (“Limited”), in addition to the ability to protect the shared content with a password. Search engines will be unable to index your upload, which means it won’t appear in searches on SlideShare, or in search results outside of SlideShare (e.g. Google).
Choosing your privacy settings
If you’re uploading content to SlideShare for the first time, be sure to check out our article on the topic to familiarize yourself with the initial steps.
During an upload
To set custom privacy rules for content during the upload process:
- Sign in to your account
- Click “Upload” in the upper right corner of your homepage
- Click “Select documents to upload” and choose your file(s) or drag and drop the item(s) you want to upload
- On the “Add more information to your upload” page, scroll to the “Privacy” section
- Pick the option you want to apply to your upload of either “Public”, “Limited”, or “Private”
- Click the “Publish” button to save your settings
Did you know you can set a default privacy setting for all of your uploads? Take a look at our article on content settings and licensing to learn more!
After an upload
To change the privacy settings for content you’ve already uploaded:
- Sign in to your account
- Click on your account icon in the upper right corner of the page
- Select “My Uploads” from the drop-down menu
- Click on the “Edit” button under the content you want to modify
- Select “Edit” from the menu that appears
- Navigate to the “Privacy Settings” tab
- Within the “Visibility” section, choose if you want your content to be “Private” or “Public”
- Additional settings you can modify will appear below this section depending on which option you choose
It can potentially take several days for a previously indexed SlideShare upload to be removed from search results elsewhere (e.g. Google) when its privacy status is changed from “Public” to “Private”.
If you have any questions about your privacy settings or need help making changes to your content, please let the SlideShare Support team know! We’re always happy to assist.