If you have an issue with your purchase on Scribd because it wasn't what you expected or you were unable to enjoy it for some reason, we'll be happy to get your money back to you, subject to the following guidelines. We don't want you to be unsatisfied with your purchase or your time on Scribd but there are restrictions to what we're able to refund that are necessary to keep in mind.
It's extremely important to note: You must contact us within 30 days of a charge for a refund. We cannot grant you a refund for any charges that are more than 30 days old.
Refunds are processed to the same credit card or PayPal account used at the time of purchase. We do not provide refunds via cash, check, or other payment methods. We can only refund purchases that have happened in the last 30 days to the original payment card or PayPal account.
Conditions for a Refund: Technical Issues, Payment Errors, Fraud
Scribd will of course issue refunds for purchases - made in the past 30 days - in the following cases:
- Technical issues - If you've experienced technical issues which are the fault of Scribd that prevent you from using the purchase we may, in our sole discretion, provide you with a replacement copy of any such purchased content, which may be a different or updated version of such content. If we are unable to or choose not to provide a replacement, we'll issue you a refund.
- Fraud - If it's determined that your account has been taken over by a third party and used fraudulently, we'll of course issue a refund.
- Payment error - If it's determined that Scribd charged you in error, we'll definitely issue a refund.
- Unexpected/Defective Content - If the purchase was made to unlock additional content which turns out to be drastically different than shown in the free preview or defective in some way, we'll issue a refund to you.
But you must contact us within 30 days of a disputed charge for us to be able to issue a refund.
Unused Membership Refund Requirement
Along with the above reasons, you're welcome to request a refund for unused premium membership time within 30 days of the charge. If you successfully used the service during the time period, you won't receive a refund. All monthly and yearly memberships automatically renew, but you can cancel at anytime. You are responsible for canceling your premium membership if you no longer wish to be a paying member on Scribd. Please see our guide to canceling your membership for instructions to cancel the renewing feature at any time.
Scribd does not offer partial refunds. If you've used the service for part of the month and then canceled, you will not be eligible to receive a refund for the charge. You can only receive refunds for the above conditions and for unused time.
Again, you must contact us within 30 days of any disputed charge, regardless of whether you have used your purchase. We cannot, under any circumstances, give you a refund for charges that are more than 30 days old. Restrictions are placed on transactions after 30 days and refunds cannot be issued after that time.
Refunds for Credits
For Audiobook Credits or Monthly Reads, we can offer replacements for credits used incorrectly. This would include:
- An audiobook that does not play correctly
- An ebook that has significant formatting issues, or cannot be read correctly
- An audiobook or ebook that differs drastically from its description
- An audiobook or ebook that you spent at most 2 hours on or less, and found you did not wish to continue
Credits accrued through regular subscription payments are not eligible for a monetary refund. This includes audiobook credits and “Monthly Read” e-book credits. Scribd can, however, issue replacement credits as described above. Scribd cannot “exchange” Monthly Read e-book credits for audiobook credits. Credits are only available to members with an active subscription.
Credits cannot be transferred to other users, but they also do not expire, and can roll over to the next month for usage.
Individual Purchase Refund Requirement
We cannot stress enough that you must contact us within 30 days to receive a refund no matter the circumstances resulting in the need for a refund.
For individual 'purchase only' titles, you may receive a refund if the title is not as advertised by the author (e.g. misleading preview, incomplete, incorrect information, etc.) or when downloaded, the version is corrupt or otherwise unusable.
Content on Scribd is uploaded and maintained by our members, and we understand that some titles may not to be what you expected to purchase. Please carefully review a title and read any reviews other members have left to make an informed decision before purchasing. If it is a corrupted file, misleading, incomplete, or incorrect, we'll issue a refund as long as it happened within the last 30 days. We also ask that you then write a comment on the title to help warn other readers before they purchase it as well.
How to Request a Refund
If the purchase meets the above requirements on what transaction we will refund and happened in the last 30 days, contact Scribd support or email firstname.lastname@example.org so they can issue you a refund for the charge.
Please include as much information on the purchase as possible to help us locate the purchase quickly for you. Ideally include:
- The order number - This can be found in the receipt sent by email at the time of purchase or while logged into your account from your Order History
- Your username and the email address attached to your Scribd account
- The amount of the purchase (in US dollars)
- The date and time the charge was made
- If you were charged by credit card: the last four digits of the card number (please for security reasons, do not include the full number), the type of card (Visa, MasterCard, etc.), and the name that appears on the card
- If you were charged through PayPal: the email address attached to your PayPal account and the transaction number of the order on PayPal
Additional Note: Purchase made through Apple's iTunes Store are managed by Apple and cannot be refunded by Scribd.
Scribd cannot issue refunds for any purchase made through iTunes. If you're having difficulty with a purchase made through the Apple store, please contact Scribd support so that we can try to help as much as possible. For any refund requests though, you'll have to contact Apple directly because Scribd has no power over the transactions processed in their system.
Reservation of Rights
This refund guide does not affect your statutory rights.