LAST UPDATED: 31 October 2023
This Uploader Agreement for Scribd® and Slideshare® (the “Agreement”) provides the Guidelines under which Users can upload and share documents, presentations, and other user-generated content (“UGC”, “Content”) to Scribd and Slideshare. Scribd and Slideshare are wholly-owned subsidiaries of Scribd, Inc (“the Company,” “We,” “Our,” or “Us”). The following additional Terms, Policies, and Guidelines are expressly incorporated herein and form a binding part of this Agreement as if reproduced fully herein:
- Prohibited Activity and Content Notice (https://support.scribd.com/hc/articles/210129166-Prohibited-Activity-and-Content)
BY UPLOADING USER-GENERATED CONTENT TO SCRIBD AND/OR SLIDESHARE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY, ALL RULES, TERMS, CONDITIONS, GUIDELINES, AND RESTRICTIONS IN THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU CHOOSE TO MAKE ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OR OTHER INFORMATION PUBLICLY AVAILABLE VIA THE SERVICES, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
We, without limitation, solely control the features and functionalities of the Services and We reserve the right to modify, change, or amend the same at all times, at Our sole discretion. We reserve the right to remove or delete UGC at any time, at Our sole discretion, without cause and without notice to You.
In order to upload Content to the Services, You must: (i) register for an Account; (ii) be at least 18 years of age (or the age of majority in your place of residence if it is other than 18) and if You are uploading Content to the Services on behalf of an Entity, You must be an authorized representative of the Entity with the authority to bind the Entity to this Agreement, and to agree to this Agreement on behalf of the Entity; and (iii) Your Scribd and/or Slideshare Account(s) must be active and in good standing (among other things, this means that Your account cannot be restricted or suspended). We reserve the right to refuse or revoke Your access at any time, at its sole discretion, without cause and without notice to You.
Subject to Your compliance with these Terms, the Company grants You a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, freely revocable license to upload, enhance, and share original electronic documents, presentations, and other similar Content to Scribd and/or Slideshare. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, We neither guarantee against unauthorized copying or distribution of Your Content nor will We be liable for any unauthorized copying or usage of Your Content.
Your license grant to upload Content to the Services is subject to the following restrictions:
- You may not share, copy, adapt, redistribute, reconfigure, modify, create derivative works from, resell, profit from, or otherwise exploit content accessed on any Service provided Us, other than as We may permit;
- You may not upload, share, copy, create, distribute, or redistribute Content that is in violation of applicable local laws in the place where you live; and
- You may not upload, share, copy, distribute, redistribute, modify, create derivative works from, or otherwise exploit Content that requires licenses or authorizations from any Government agency. Relevant U.S. regulations include, but are not limited to, the State Department’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations and the Commerce Department’s Export Administration Regulations. You shall not post any ITAR-controlled technical data and other applicable information, including any official Department of Defense documents that have not been authorized for public release by the appropriate Government agency. Your rights under this Agreement are contingent on Your compliance with this provision.
You acknowledge that any attempted or actual violation of any of the foregoing is a material breach of this Agreement and that We may pursue applicable legal and equitable remedies against You, including an immediate suspension of Your Account and termination of this Agreement; and, when appropriate, the pursuit of civil or criminal remedies. You understand and acknowledge that this Agreement does not entitle You to any payment, royalties, remuneration, or other compensation in exchange for posting Your Content.
By uploading Content to Scribd and/or Slideshare, you grant to Us a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, assignable, fully paid-up, royalty-free license (with the right to grant and authorize sublicenses) to host, transfer, display, perform, reproduce, translate, adapt, distribute, compress or convert for distribution (including but not limited to facilitating accessibility to the visually or hearing impaired), monetize, charge money for, restrict access to view, restrict access to download, advertise against, create derivative works from, train machine learning, large language, or other statistical or data models, and otherwise exploit Your Content, in any media formats and through any media channels, in order to publish and promote such Content, either alone or in combination with the Content of other Users, in connection with services offered or to be offered by Scribd. Such license will apply to any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed. You grant Us the right to restrict access to view or to download your Content (for example, without limitation, to paying Users) and to charge Users for access to your User Content, subject to certain configuration options provided to you by Us. You understand and acknowledge that We may use automated systems to evaluate your content in order to detect infringements and abuse.
Subject to the terms and limitations set forth herein, you may terminate this grant of license to Us as to any specific piece of Content by removing or deleting that piece of Content from all Services provided by Us; however, you acknowledge and agree that We or Third Parties, without limitation, may retain a copy or copies of any Content as necessary for legal or archival purposes.
By uploading Content to Scribd and/or Slideshare, you grant to each authorized User of the Services a limited, non-exclusive license to access and use Your Content under the terms indicated by You when You uploaded such Content. You must at least grant to each such user a limited, non-exclusive, license to view, download (including, without limitation, to a portable device, but subject to restrictions either made by Us or by You), print and have printed a limited number of copies of, the Content for Your personal use. The foregoing license granted by You terminates as to a specific piece of Content once You remove or delete such Content from the Services, provided that User rights to such Content arising out of distributions occurring on or prior to deletion of such User Content from the Services survive any termination or expiration of the license granted in this Section (Section 6).
Subject to the licenses granted herein, You retain all of Your ownership rights to original Content uploaded and owned by You. You can change or delete Your Content at any time.
8.1 Term. The term of this Agreement will begin on the date You upload Your Content and will continue until terminated in accordance with the provisions set forth in this Section (the “Term”).
8.2 Termination. We may, at Our discretion and without cause, liability, or prior notice to You, immediately terminate this Agreement, Your Account, or suspend Your upload privileges on any of the Services at any time. You may terminate this Agreement either by canceling your Accounts and removing your content from all of Our Services, or by providing Us with written notification of intended termination through electronic mail at email@example.com. This Agreement will be deemed terminated by You fifteen (15) business days after Our receipt of such notification.
8.3 Effect of Termination. Upon termination of this Agreement, any provision which, by its nature or express terms, should survive will survive such termination or expiration.
8.4 Retiring Your Content. If You choose to delete Your Content from Scribd it will not be available to Users following the date of such removal or deletion (the “Deletion Date”). We will not be able to provide You with copies of Your Content after You delete it from the Services. Users who have downloaded offline copies of Your Content (including, without limitation to Our Apps), may continue to access their downloaded copies of Your Content.
You are solely responsible for Your Content and the consequences of uploading and publishing Your Content. By uploading and publishing Your Content, You represent and warrant that:
- All of the information that You provide to Scribd under this Agreement is current and accurate;
- You are the creator and owner of, or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, releases and permissions to use and to authorize Us and Users of the Services to use, Your Content in the manner permitted herein;
- Your Content does not and will not slander, defame, or libel any other party, violate any other party’s publicity rights or trade secret rights, be obscene, or otherwise unlawful;
- Your Content does not contain any images, whether photographic or artistic (including computer-generated imagery), of a person under the age, or apparently under the age, of 18 in a state of undress; or otherwise posed or presented in a lewd, lascivious, provocative, or titillating manner;
- You have not entered into any other agreement that is in conflict with the terms of this Agreement;
- Your Content does not contain any viruses, adware, spyware, worms, or other malicious code;
- Your Content is free of any restrictions, password protections, and/or digital rights management, including any software designed to limit the number of times User Content may be copied or played; and
- No claim has been asserted nor have any proceedings been instituted by any third party against You or Your predecessors in title for the infringement of intellectual property rights in Your Content.
This Agreement does not constitute and may not be construed as constituting a partnership, a joint venture, a principal-agent relationship, or an employee-employer relationship between You and Us. No party shall have any right to obligate or bind any other party in any manner whatsoever, and nothing herein contained shall give, or is intended to give, any rights of any kind to You and/or any Third Parties. Rights and remedies provided in this Agreement are cumulative and not exclusive of any right or remedy provided at law or in equity.
We welcome your questions about this Agreement by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at: Scribd, Inc. 460 Bryant Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, CA 94107-2594. We respond to all inquiries within 30 days. If You are a California resident, You may have this same information emailed to You by sending a letter to the foregoing address with Your email address and a request for this information.