Have an issue with your purchase on Scribd? We'll be happy to help in any way we can, though there are a few restrictions that guide whether you are eligible for a refund.
It's extremely important to note: You must contact us within 30 days of a charge for a refund. We cannot grant you a refund for any charges that are more than 30 days old.
Refunds are processed to the same payment method used at the time of purchase. We do not provide refunds via cash, check, or other external payment methods. We can only refund purchases that have happened in the last 30 days to the original payment card or account.
Conditions for a Refund
Technical Issues, Payment Errors, Fraud
Scribd will issue refunds for purchases made in the past 30 days in the following cases:
- Technical issues - If you've experienced technical issues which are the fault of Scribd that prevent you from using the purchase, we may, in our sole discretion, provide you with a replacement copy of any such purchased content, which may be a different or updated version of such content. If we are unable to or choose not to provide a replacement, we'll issue you a refund.
- Fraud - If it's determined that your account has been taken over by a third party and used fraudulently, we will issue you a refund.
- Payment error - If it's determined that Scribd charged you in error, we'll issue a refund.
- Unexpected/Defective Content - If the purchase was made to unlock additional content which turns out to be drastically different than shown in the free preview or defective in some way, we'll issue a refund to you.
You must contact us within 30 days of a disputed charge for us to be able to issue a refund.
Unused subscription refund requirement
Along with the above reasons, you're welcome to request a refund for unused subscription time within 30 days of the charge. If you successfully used the service during the time period, you won't receive a refund. All monthly and yearly subscriptions automatically renew, but you can cancel at any time. You are responsible for canceling your subscription if you no longer wish to be a paying member on Scribd. Please see our guide to canceling your subscription for instructions to cancel the renewing feature at any time.
Scribd does not offer partial refunds. If you've used the service for part of the billing cycle and then canceled, you will not be eligible to receive a refund for the charge. You can only receive refunds for the above conditions and for unused time.
Again, you must contact us within 30 days of any disputed charge, regardless of whether you have used your purchase. We cannot, under any circumstances, give you a refund for charges that are more than 30 days old. Restrictions are placed on transactions after 30 days and refunds cannot be issued after that time.
How to request a refund
If the purchase meets the above requirements on what transaction we will refund and happened in the last 30 days, contact Scribd support so we can issue you a refund for the charge.
Please include as much information on the purchase as possible to help us locate the purchase quickly for you. Ideally, include:
- The order number; this can be found in the email receipt sent at the time of purchase
- Your username and the email address attached to your Scribd account
- The amount of the purchase
- The date and time the charge was made
- If you were charged by credit card: the last four digits of the card number (please for security reasons, do not include the full number), the type of card (Visa, MasterCard, etc.), and the name that appears on the card
- If you were charged through PayPal: the email address attached to your PayPal account and the transaction number of the order on PayPal
- If you use Google Pay, Apple Pay, or any payment service that creates a temporary card number for online purchases, we recommend confirming the last four digits of the token card number
Purchases from iTunes or the App Store are supported by Apple. Due to Apple’s security policies, Scribd cannot refund purchases made via iTunes or the App Store. Scribd's support team will gladly help you with questions and technical issues, but refund requests should be directed to Apple if you purchased through iTunes or the App Store. You may contact Apple directly to request a refund here.
Similarly, purchases made via direct carrier billing are supported by Fortumo. Scribd cannot refund purchases made via direct carrier billing. Scribd's support team will gladly help you with questions and issues, but you must make refund requests directly to Fortumo if you purchased through direct carrier billing.
Reservation of Rights
This refund guide does not affect your statutory rights.